Chapter 6 – The City of Light & Falling Down
EPOV
"Come on baby, it's our first night in France."
Well, technically not, but…
I whispered in Bella's ear as she lay bundled in the blankets, fast asleep.
After flying all night, she'd dozed off in the car on the way from the airport. I was able to rouse her briefly when we arrived at the house where we'd be staying, but as soon as she eyed the big comfy bed, she climbed in and was soon dead to the world.
Hours later, she still hadn't moved a muscle, and the sun would set soon. Aside from that, I had dinner reservations at one of my favorite restaurants in the city. Paris was at its most beautiful at night, and I longed to show it to her.
If only she'd wake up…
I went down to the large country kitchen. The cook Alec had hired wouldn't be arriving until the next morning, so I started the kettle hoping to tempt Bella awake with a cup of tea.
My plan worked a little sooner than I'd expected, because just as I poured the steaming water into the pot, my beautiful, sleep rumpled girl appeared on the kitchen stairs.
"Edward, this place is lovely." She said with a yawn as she gazed around the kitchen, taking it all in. "Gah, I feel like a zombie." She muttered before going to sit on the cushioned settee under the window.
I chuckled as I served the tea and opened a tin of biscuits before taking a seat beside her.
"It's getting late love. I thought we'd venture into the city for dinner if you're up to it." I said after leaning in to press a kiss to her lips.
Her eyes came alive as she nodded eagerly. "Oh yes, please. I mean, I know we were here in December, but I couldn't enjoy myself; my mind was a bit distracted at the time…"
I frowned as I thought back to the press tour for The Harvest of Avarice, and the less than twenty-four hours of it spent in Paris. "How so?"
"Well," she looked a little sheepish. "That was when I first suspected I was pregnant…"
"Oh," her words made me smile. "No wonder you didn't seem to care that we were here so short a time."
She laughed lightly. "I was freaking out a little."
"I hope it wasn't because you feared my reaction, baby." I brushed my fingers along her arm as I spoke.
"No," she hesitated, "well maybe a little." she laughed again. "It's so soon. Most people are together for years before they have a baby…"
"Bella, I love you and I can't imagine being any happier about becoming a father, whether it's now or ten years from now." I leaned down and kissed her lips again.
She sighed contentedly.
"Now, finish your tea so we can leave."
She took another sip, "How far are we from Paris?"
"About an hour's drive."
"I can't believe I slept the entire day away!" She exclaimed around a mouthful of tea biscuit.
"You obviously needed it." I said quietly as I brushed a strand of hair away from her face. "But you
also need food."
After another cup of tea and several more biscuits, Bella kissed me and left to shower and dress for dinner.
Before I dressed, I phoned Lou and asked him to let me know when the car arrived. We'd actually rented two houses; Lou, Sidney and Alec were staying in the one next door to ours.
Once I was ready, I waited in the sitting room because I knew if I got a glimpse of Bella naked, the fucking caveman in me would never let us leave the house.
I was not going to be the cause of her losing any more weight. She needed to eat.
As I sat brooding over the fact that I hadn't looked after my wife properly during the last couple of months, my beautiful girl suddenly appeared in the doorway, a vision in a black lace mini dress, her hair swept back into an elegant chignon.
Chignon, Edward?
What? I'm Alice's brother; I tend to pick up on shit like that…
Fuck me, she was gorgeous.
I couldn't resist crossing the room and sweeping her into my arms while attacking her neck with open mouthed kisses, causing her to be overcome with a fit of giggles.
"New dress?" I mumbled against the silky smooth flesh of her neck.
"Yes, this is one of the maternity dresses designed by your sister. No more skinny jeans for me, I've surrendered to the 'bump'." She said with another giggle before stepping back so I could get a view of her stomach as she pressed the front of her dress against it.
"Wow," I whispered. I doubted whether anyone else would notice, but I could definitely see a
difference.
"I know," she grinned, "it seems to have 'popped' overnight."
I couldn't help the silly grin which overtook my face as I pulled her back into my arms. "God, Bella. I am such a fortunate man." I said before kissing her passionately.
That was how Lou found us a moment later, the clearing of a throat alerting us to his presence.
I broke the kiss and looked up to find him standing in the hallway, smiling, "The car's here."
Bella blushed, keeping her beautiful smile as she bundled into coat and gloves. It was March after all, and still quite chilly.
***L&EL***
Knowing I was due to report on set in two days, I decided we'd have to make the most of tomorrow.
Bella's excitement didn't wane for the rest of that evening, probably because our dinner consisted of delicious food and a spectacular view of the Eiffel Tower while we dined.
"I can't wait to see the Louvre. Could we possibly go there tomorrow?" She asked between courses.
"If that's what you want, then certainly," I told her with an indulgent smile.
She bit her lip as she seemed to gather her thoughts. "There are so many places I want to see… I was reading up on all the tourist spots. Aside from the Louvre and Notre Dame, there's the Moulin Rouge, and Versailles," she rushed out before taking a sip of her sparkling water. "and, of course, the Musée d'Orsay."
My heart was filled to overflowing at the sight of her so happy. I grabbed her hand and brought it to my lips, "Baby, I'll gladly take you to Disneyland if it keeps that beautiful smile on your face."
Bella's eyes went wide. "EuroDisney! Yes, I want to go there too!" She answered excitedly.
I laughed. "Sweetheart, we'll be here for at least a month, no need to cram everything into the first few days. I promise to take you everywhere your heart desires." I told her before placing another kiss on her hand.
After dinner, our plans to take a walk were thwarted when Lou sent a text, informing that a large group of paparazzi had gathered outside the restaurant.
Word certainly travels fast…
***L&EL***
After slipping on a pair of sleep pants, I went in search of my wife. I found her at the kitchen table having a quiet conversation with Alec, Sidney and Lou while sipping a cup of tea.
There was a guy across the room chopping vegetables. I gathered that he was the cook Alec had hired.
"Hey," I said to no one in particular from the doorway.
The guys turned and called out a greeting as Bella smiled brightly and walked over to me. "Good morning," she whispered before wrapping her arms around my waist and kissing me lightly on the lips.
"Edward, this is Martin, our chef." She gestured to the fellow diligently preparing breakfast. He smiled and crossed the room to where we were standing.
"Pleasure to meet you Mr. Masen," he said as he shook my hand. His voice was pleasant, and laced with a heavy French accent. He also had a fucking strong grip.
Jesus
It wasn't often that I was intimidated by another man, but this dude looked like he should be on the cover of GQ instead of cooking our breakfast. I guess that fact alone wouldn't have bothered me too much if when I'd walked in, I hadn't caught him blatantly checking out my wife.
Asshat
When Alec told me he'd hired a male chef, I assumed it would be some old dude, like maybe even older than my Dad. Not some buff young guy who looked like a fucking model.
I was going to have a word with Alec later…
Instinctively, I wrapped my arms tighter around Bella, pulling her against me as my jealousy raged.
"Um, Edward," Bella began while eyeing me strangely, "Martin was asking if we'd be home at all today. You know, so he can plan the meals."
"Oh," I began.
We sure as fuck won't be hanging around here so you can eye fuck my wife some more…
fucking fucker…
How times can I say 'fuck' in one sentence?
A lot, apparently.
I cleared my throat, trying to reign in my temper. "I'm taking Bella into the city after breakfast, and we won't be back until tonight."
Martin, that prick, kept his simpering smile. "Ah well, that will give me a chance to do the marketing." His eyes roamed over Bella's body before continuing. "Bel-la,"
Did he deliberately let that second syllable roll off of his tongue?
Somehow, he managed to make her name sound dirty…
Dick
"Maybe you could spare a few moments to help me plan the menu before you leave?"
"Certainly." Bella was all head-nods and agreeable smiles.
I hated it.
Can't she see that this guy's a tool?
Once we were away from the house I felt better. That was until my wife turned to glare at me. "Edward, what the hell was that?"
I frowned, feigning ignorance. "What was what?"
Bella huffed out a breath. "The way you just treated Martin; if I didn't know better, I'd think you were jealous."
I bit the inside of my cheek and thought about how to answer. There were so many things I could say at that moment, and every one of them was bound to get me in trouble.
I gave her a blank stare, "I don't know what you're talking about."
Another Oscar-worthy performance…
I should have known it wouldn't work on Bella.
"Edward Cullen," she said with narrowed eyes. "You are jealous. Why in the world…?"
"Bella," I cut her off in exasperation, "you mean to tell me you didn't notice the way that douche was looking at you?"
Bella stared at me incredulously. "Are you being serious right now?"
"What do you think?"
Bella licked her lips before taking the bottom one between her teeth. I could tell she was trying not to smile.
"I don't know what to say," she whispered, and then she couldn't hold it in any longer; her lips parted, and a dazzling smile appeared on her beautiful face. She leaned in and held my face between her hands. "You are so adorable when you're jealous."
"I wish you would take this seriously." I tried to sound stern, but it was difficult while she had my face mashed between her hands.
Bella's just laughed at me.
I pulled her hands away from my face and held them in both of mine. "Baby, how am I going to be able to leave for the set, knowing you'll be at the house with that, that dickhead." I huffed.
Bella, still grinning, answered. "Edward, I honestly did not see what you did."
I opened my mouth to protest, but she placed a finger over my lips to silence me.
"But, if it makes you happy, I'll make sure that Lou is with me any time that Martin is in the house. It's not like Martin's staying with us for heaven's sake. He'll only be there during the day."
I frowned; still not happy with her solution.
"Or," she said with a quirked eyebrow, "We can let him go, and I'll do the cooking, just like I told you I would in the first place." She challenged.
I shook my head in protest. "No, I want you free to enjoy yourself; go out and explore France while we're here. As long as Lou goes with you." I gave her a serious look. "I don't want you slaving away in the kitchen."
She nodded once. "Alright then, you are going to have to relax and let me handle Martin. There is a possibility that you misread him."
I gave her an incredulous look.
She responded with a teasing smile. "For all we know, he could be gay."
"Yeah, right."
***L&EL***
"I loved the Impressionist paintings." Bella said as we exited the museum. "I haven't had a chance to see many of them in person before. What was your favorite part, Edward?"
It didn't take much thought. "I suppose I'm partial to Van Gogh. The poor tortured artist, who never saw success during his lifetime."
Bella nodded. "I can understand that." She whispered somberly. "Poor man, and such a brilliant artist."
We were quiet for most of the car ride that followed.
"Where to now?" She asked; her expression brighter.
"Well, I thought lunch, but first I've planned a small diversion." I told her with a smile.
I could tell by the expression on Bella's face that she knew where we were even before the driver parked the car. She laced her fingers through mine as we walked silently across the stone pavement, stopping near a large fountain.
"Place de la Concorde," she whispered as she glanced around. "So many lost their lives here... a king, a queen, countless others…" She looked up at me with sad eyes.
I nodded.
Despite the fact that midday traffic, and busy Parisian pedestrians hurried past us, we paused where we stood, reflecting on what transpired on that very spot over two hundred years before.
"You can understand why I had a particular interest in stopping here, can't you baby?" I asked.
"Of course, Edward," she answered as she let go of my hand and looped her arm around mine instead, somehow needing to feel closer. "Sydney Carton is my very favorite Dickens character. The drunkard who becomes an unlikely hero," She smiled up at me then, "representative of so many who unjustly lost their lives right where we stand."
Bella drew in a lungful of air, and I leaned down to kiss the top of her head. "Spoken like a true writer my love."
Her smile grew wider.
"Come on, before our mood turns too maudlin," I said as I grabbed her hand in mine again. "Time for lunch."
***L&EL***
"Yes, Edward. What can I do for you?" Trouble was, Alec could be such an ass that I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic, or if he was really offering to do his fucking job.
"Tell me you did a thorough background check on the cook."
"Martin?" he sounded surprised. "Yeah of course, Edward. Sidney handled it personally."
"So, what did you find?" I snapped.
"Damn, what's your problem?"
"Just answer me." I growled.
"There's nothing to tell, Edward. The guy's clean, not even a parking violation. Dude, I wouldn't have hired him otherwise."
I sighed loudly as I saw Bella approaching the table.
"Okay, I just wanted to make sure. Talk to you later, Alec."
I didn't wait for a response before ending the call.
***L&EL***
I nodded. "When I was twelve, Mom and Dad brought me and Alice. We saw most of the tourist sites that summer. Haven't been much of a tourist since then though," I slipped my arm around her waist, pulling her against my side, "no one to enjoy it with, until now." I bent down and gave her a swift kiss on the lips, not caring if we got tossed out.
Bella smiled before looking around again. She spied a large display of votive candles to the right under a large crucifix, and led me over to them. We each lit a candle and said a silent prayer.
"What did you pray for?" I asked as we moved away from the candles.
Bella looked into my eyes. "You know," she whispered as she ghosted a hand across her stomach.
I did know.
"Then we prayed for the same thing, baby." I whispered back, earning a shy smile from my wife.
We were silent as we walked slowly down the aisle, stopping at each side altar. I didn't remember the cathedral being this beautiful when I was here before.
"What has you smiling?" Bella asked with a sweet smile of her own.
"Just remembering how I couldn't wait to get out of here when I was twelve. I found it boring," I said with a shake of my head.
Bella's smile grew wider. "Sounds like you were a typical pre-teen boy to me, Edward."
True
"This is beautiful beyond words," Bella gasped as we got closer to the main altar. The gothic architecture, the stonework of each side altar, which were really chapels in their own right, were all astounding to behold. But, more than anything, the stained glass windows were what took our breath away.
How could I have ever thought that THIS was boring?
When we finally reached the main altar, we gazed up in awe.
"This makes me realize how insignificant our silly day to day concerns are, in the grand scheme of things." Bella spoke in the softest whisper, I found myself straining to hear her. "Think about it Edward, this cathedral has stood for eight hundred years, and long after we're gone, it will still be here. Countless generations of people from all over the world have stood where we're standing now, and will continue to do so long after we're forgotten."
I cracked a smile. "My, you certainly are in a melancholy mood today."
She grinned. "I don't mean to be, must be the hormones."
We ended up going home earlier than I'd planned. Even though Bella said that she was game for staying in Paris a while longer, I could tell that she was nearing exhaustion.
Much as I hated to run the risk of arriving at the house while Martin was still there, it was time to call it a day.
As soon as we entered the house, our noses were met by an appetizing aroma emanating from the kitchen.
Bella turned to me just inside the front door. "Behave," she warned.
"I always do." I defended.
She just laughed.
As long as the asshat keeps his eyes to himself.
"Well, hello Bella and Edward." Martin greeted as soon as we entered the room. "Home a little early, I see."
"Yeah, sorry. Bella's tired, so we didn't stay in the city."
Why am I apologizing?
"No matter, I've made plenty. The meal will be served shortly. I know how you Americans like to dine early."
Bella strolled over to where Martin was working and sniffed appreciatively at the platter of stuffed peppers, he'd just removed from the oven.
I nodded and went to grab Bella's hand, intending to take her with me so that we could freshen up; when it happened.
That fucktard stopped what he was doing and stared at my wife, more specifically, he stared at her tits.
I shot him a glare, which he never acknowledged, before pulling her along with me and heading upstairs. Once behind the closed door of our bedroom, I spoke.
"Tell me you didn't notice it that time, Bella?"
"What?" she asked with a bewildered expression on her face.
"The way that asshole just stared at your ti…" I cleared my throat as Bella's eyes widened. "Your, um, breasts. He was staring at your breasts."
Bella's look of confusion changed to one of amusement. "No, Edward. Sorry."
I groaned and sat down on the bed, running both hands through my hair in agitation. "You seriously didn't notice the way he looked at you?" The tone of the question was a little harsher than I'd meant it to be.
"No," she spoke softly and moved until she stood in front of me. "Edward, please try to relax."
"How can I relax? The one place I thought you'd be safe while I'm on set was in this house, and now even that's been ruined." I dropped my hands to the bed in defeat.
Bella moved to stand between my legs, pulling my head against her chest as her fingers ran soothingly through my hair. "Please don't worry. Martin seems harmless. If he does anything out of line, we'll handle it."
"I don't want it to get that far," I mumbled into her cleavage, causing her to laugh.
"I promise that Lou will be with me every day." She let out a breath. "Knowing how this bothered you earlier, I already spoke with him and asked that he move his things from the other house into one of the spare bedrooms here."
I looked up at her. "You did?"
She nodded, and it was as if a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.
***L&EL***
No matter how many dirty looks I sent his way, Martin continued to stare appreciatively and unashamedly at my wife, every fucking day.
I couldn't bring myself to fire him though because he was a damned good chef. And, while he was there, Bella didn't have to cook for the five of us, as she would have attempted to do otherwise.
Martin's cooking was so good in fact that I feared gaining weight because of it. I decided the best thing to do would be to leave early each morning, skipping breakfast in order to fit in a short workout with the personal trainer provided by the studio.
The day filming began, Bella informed that she didn't want to go into the city without me so, instead, she filled her days reading or writing. I assumed she was working on another children's book until one evening when she shared what she'd written.
"Edward, I want your honest opinion." She said nervously as she hit a few keys on her laptop. "I've written the first chapter of my new book and I want you to be the first one to read it." She set the laptop on the table in front of me. I read the opening line:
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." – Dr. Seuss.
That advice can be applied to so many of life's experiences from the seemingly small and mundane to the ones that change us forever: a child's first day of school; baking cookies with Grandma; a father and child, hands clasped as they run through the foaming surf; driving a car for the first time with that brand new license safely tucked away in your pocket; graduation day whether it be from kindergarten, high school, or college; a first kiss; the birth of a child...
Sadly, that advice may also be applied to the more somber of life's events: the ending of a relationship, laying to rest a good and faithful pet, or having to say a tearful and reluctant goodbye to a loved one.
Until very recently I have not fully appreciated what a profound thing it is to be able to look back through years of pain, sorrow and loss, only to discover waiting there, undimmed by the passage of time, the memory of a childhood blessed with love, joy, and laughter.
Bella went on to describe the deep unconditional love she held for both her parents and her brother, and how their love for her formed the basis of the woman she was to become.
Every word touched my heart.
I swallowed back the lump in my throat before speaking, "Baby, this is beautiful."
"It's not too much? I'm so freaking emotional…."
I interrupted her, "No, it's perfect. Don't change a thing."
She smiled and curled up against me on the sofa. "Thank you."
***L&EL***
Since I was filming that night, I didn't need to report to the studio until mid-afternoon.
Bella looked down at me from the loft where the master bath was located, her toothbrush hanging out of her mouth, and attempted to answer.
"Smuppoth psfumun haaas wur pmupmfer?"
"Was that English?" I asked as I laughed at her.
Bella glared before stepping back, away from the railing, presumably to finish brushing her teeth. A moment later, she tromped down the stairs and approached the bed. "I said, suppose someone hacks your computer? There are people out there who would love nothing more than to get embarrassing naked photos of your wife." She cringed as she spoke the words.
I couldn't help but smirk at her. "If only you'd agree to posing naked," I muttered, hoping she wouldn't hear.
"Edward!" She scolded while she bumped the mattress with her knee.
Oops.
This time I pulled out all the stops and flashed her my Hollywood smile, secretly delighting in the way she melted before my eyes.
Works every time
"Baby," I sat up and scooted to the end of the bed so that I was right in front of her. "I would like nothing more than to take naked photos of you, but since you'd never agree to that sober, and being sober is the only option in your condition, we'll go with the near-naked ones."
Every week since revealing her pregnancy, I'd been taking photos of Bella's tummy, charting the progress of the bump. It wasn't until last week's photo session however, that there had been a noticeable difference in the size of her belly from weeks previous.
I may have squealed with excitement at the time, and Bella had been holding that fact over my head ever since, threatening to tell her brother.
Evil woman.
"You're wearing too many clothes," I challenged as I untied the sash to her robe. She didn't stop me, allowing it to fall open and reveal the fact that she was completely naked underneath.
Fuuuck…
My cock twitched at the possibilities…
I swallowed hard. "Um, well maybe you are agreeable to the naked ones after all?" I asked with a wink.
"No way, Mister Movie Star." She said before prancing over to the dresser to, I assumed, retrieve a pair of panties. "Don't think I don't know what you did just now, with that smile." She said with a quirked eyebrow. "I'm on to you."
Before long, Bella had ditched the robe and was standing before me in nothing but a pair of white lace panties. She folded her arms self-consciously across her chest to cover up, and turned so that I could take a profile shot of her.
"You promise that no one but you will see these right?" It was the same question every week.
"Yes dear."
"No matter how much your mother begs?"
"Yes dear."
My Mom was almost as excited as Bella and myself about this baby.
"And you'll change your computer password again so no one will hack it?"
"Yes dear."
"And..."
"Bella"
"Yes?"
"I love you."
"I love you too." She said with a gentle smile before thinking of another question. "And you won't…"
"Bella"
"Yes?"
"Stop talking."
She smiled through a defeated sigh and let me snap the photos. After that, I spent some time distracting her from the notion of getting dressed right away, causing us to get a little, um, sidetracked and arrive later than we'd intended for breakfast.
As soon as we entered the kitchen, I made sure to shoot Martin a smug smile, leaving no doubt as to why we were late.
***L&EL***
I smiled knowing I'd see Bella soon.
We'd been filming all morning at a location on the outskirts of Paris. Now it was mid-afternoon, and since I had the next day off, I'd asked Bella to meet me in the city. I didn't tell her, but I planned to take her on the River Seine for a dinner cruise that evening.
Once in my trailer, I glanced at my phone to see if I had any missed calls. I found a text from Bella sent a couple of hours before:
E-
Lou and I are spending some time at the book market before I'm due to meet you.
Miss you.
Oh, by the way, you squeal just like your mother.
Love, B
What the heck was that supposed to mean?
I slipped into my grey button down and black jeans. Just as I put an arm into my leather jacket, my phone rang.
"Hello."
I was met by the sound of my mother's gleeful scream. When she finally tamed her excitement, she spoke. "Oh, honey, I had to take a chance that you'd be through filming by this time."
"Yeah, we finished up a while ago. Why are you so excited Mom?"
"I Skyped Bella earlier, and she showed me her tummy!"
Ohhh
I pursed my lips. "Let me guess, you squealed when you saw it?"
"You better believe it! Don't get me wrong, I've been thrilled since we learned you two were expecting, but getting that first glimpse of the bump, I don't know, I guess I went a little crazy."
Now I know what Bella meant by the squealing.
I chuckled into the phone as I took a seat on the sofa.
"So, everything's well? Bella looked great, but how are you doing?"
"I'm good." I answered her honestly.
"You've calmed down about the weight loss then?"
I cleared my throat. My mother knew me well. "I'm better. The house is very comfortable, and she's been eating well and resting a lot. I have the day off tomorrow, and Bella has a doctor's appointment."
"Yes, she mentioned that. Let me know how it goes, darling."
"I will."
I could hear the chime, alerting me to an incoming text message.
"Well, I know you're meeting Bella for dinner soon, so I'll speak with you tomorrow. I love you, Edward."
"Love you too, Mom."
I ended the call and opened the text. It was from Bella.
Don't freak out. I'm okay.
I was still trying to understand her cryptic message when there was a loud knock on the trailer door just before it flew open, revealing a rather panicked looking Alec.
"What the…"
I didn't have a chance to formulate a proper question before he interrupted.
"Edward, we have to go. It's Bella."
Nothing else he could have said would have caused me to jump to my feet and bolt toward the door the way I did at that moment.
"What the fuck is going on?" I growled as I followed him outside to where Sidney was waiting.
Sidney explained further. "I just got a call from Lou; Bella wouldn't let him phone you. It seems that he and Bella got swarmed by a particularly aggressive group of paps just outside the book market. Lou tried to keep them back, but there was a scuffle and Bella fell."
I was barely aware of Sidney's hand on my shoulder, as all the air left my lungs in a whoosh.
Bella fell
"She says she's okay, Edward, but Lou took her to the hospital to be checked out."
Thank God for that
I took a breath and allowed my heart to start beating again as I rushed past them toward the car.
"What the hell are we waiting for, let's get to the hospital!"
There was silence during the ride as Sidney and Alec eyed me warily. I didn't even attempt to veil the fact that I was falling to pieces as the 'worst case scenarios' kept playing on repeat in my head.
Please God, let Bella be alright…
And the baby…
A lump formed in my throat at the thought of anything happening to either of them.
Fucking paps...
If they've hurt either Bella or our child…
My hands started shaking, and Alec spoke.
"Edward, she's okay, man."
I nodded, aware that he was only trying to help. I couldn't bring myself to tell him not to bother. Nothing would help until I saw my wife and was able to hold her in my arms again.
It was at that moment that I remembered her text. I quickly pulled the phone from the pocket of my jacket and stared at the screen.
Don't freak out. I'm okay.
She knew. This was Bella's way of reassuring me.
Well it wasn't fucking working
I fumbled with the phone in my shaking hands, trying to dial Bella or Lou's numbers.
"They're not answering Edward," Sidney said quietly.
I looked up at him with what I know was a pained expression.
"Can't use cell phones in the hospital." He explained.
Oh
I knew that
I put my phone away and concentrated on regulating my breathing as I clasped one hand in the other and held on for dear life, not letting go until the car came to the stop in front of the hospital.
Sidney had a difficult time keeping up with me as I ran to the doors.
Imagine my surprise when I was greeted by a crowd of photographers barring the path.
"Get the fuck out of my way!" I shouted, fully intending to move them, if they didn't do so voluntarily.
"I've got this Edward," I heard Sidney say from my right side as he used his shoulder and arm to push our way through.
Motherfuckers.
We were immediately met by a young woman in business attire. "I'm sorry Mr. Masen, the police have been notified, and are on their way," she said, gesturing toward the crowd of photographers outside the doors. She reached her hand out for a shake, "My name is Claudia Barrere, the patient relations coordinator. If you care to follow me, I'll take you to your wife."
I nodded; my heart in my throat as I shadowed her to the nearest bank of elevators.
"We thought it best, because of your celebrity status, to secure Mrs. Masen in a private room upstairs."
"It's Mrs. Cullen actually." I corrected. I was being kind of a dick, but I didn't care.
Ms. Barrere smiled apologetically, "Of course, I'm sorry. I'm just so used to thinking of you as Edward Masen. I…"
Was she blushing?
This was fast becoming a fan encounter, when all I wanted was to find my wife.
"That's quite alright," I informed before turning away to stare at the closed elevator doors.
After exiting on the third floor, I was led down a long corridor at the end of which, Ms. Barrere halted in front of a door.
After knocking briskly, she turned the handle and entered.
I saw Lou first before looking past him to where Bella was seated on the bed, worrying her lip with her teeth.
Our eyes met, and I was at her side in an instant. "Baby, what happened?" I gingerly touched her arms with my hands, "Are you hurt?"
"I'm fine, Edward. I knew you would freak out." She shot a frown Lou's way.
I turned toward him. "How could you let this happen?" I barked, the anger that I'd been feeling, suddenly bubbling to the surface.
"I'm really sorry, Edward." Lou was shaking his head, a remorseful expression on his face. I immediately felt bad for what I'd said.
"Edward, this wasn't Lou's fault." Bella snapped. "There were so many paps. They were relentless." She continued in a pleading tone.
"No Bella, Edward's right. It was my job to protect you," Lou began to argue with her, but I cut him off.
"No Lou, I shouldn't have said that. I apologize. You do a great job protecting Bella, but you're only one man; no one could have predicted this would happen."
Lou nodded and gave me a tight smile.
I ran my hand through my hair in agitation and sat beside Bella on the bed. She immediately placed her hand in mine.
I turned it over, surprised to see that the heel of her hand was bandaged. I grabbed the other one, seeing a bandage on that one as well.
My frown deepened.
Bella shrugged and gave me a wary look. "I landed on my hands, when I fell."
I could feel the anger welling up inside again.
Fucking paps
If I didn't know for sure that I'd end up in jail, I'd go find the ones responsible and beat the ever-loving shit out of them.
Everyone was quiet for a moment before Alec spoke. "Hey, Edward and Bella, we're going to give you guys some privacy. We'll be just outside if you need us." He said before motioning for Lou and Sidney to follow him.
"Thanks guys." I answered in a weary tone.
As soon as they left, I turned to Bella, really taking her in. "Are you sure you're all right, other than your hands?"
She nodded.
"Have you seen a doctor yet?"
"No, just the nurse. She took my blood pressure and temperature. The doctor is supposed to be here shortly." Then she smiled. "Oh, and they weighed me. I've gained back the two pounds, and a little more." She scowled playfully as she said the last part.
I smiled at that bit of news, even though I knew I wouldn't shake the nagging worry over her fall until I heard from a doctor that everything was fine.
I wrapped my arms around her then, pulling her close as some of the tension left my body.
We sat quietly until a knock on the door disturbed us. "Bon jour," a voice sounded as the door began to swing open. "Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Cullen," we looked up to see a graying middle-aged doctor walking toward us. "I'm Doctor Girard," he said as he reached to shake our hands.
"Dr. Girard?"
This was the doctor that Bella was scheduled to see tomorrow…
Doctor Girard smiled widely and spoke as in answer to my thoughts. "Yes, it seems we were meant to meet a little sooner than was planned." He said in a teasing tone.
Bella smiled, looking at ease already as the doctor pulled a chair close beside the bed and sat down.
"I am told that you fell on the sidewalk?" He asked, losing his smile.
"She was knocked down." I interjected, the anger clear in my voice.
Bella patted my hand comfortingly.
"Did you hit your head?" the doctor asked with concern.
"No, I landed on my hands." Bella held up her bandaged hands as proof of her statement.
Dr. Girard nodded. "Do you have any other injuries Mrs. Cullen?"
"Please call me Bella." She urged, earning another smile from the doctor.
Bella bit her lip before giving me a sidelong glance and answering in a quavering voice, "I was elbowed in the ribs."
My mouth dropped open in surprise as my anger returned tenfold.
"It was an accident." She said, directing the statement toward me.
Dr. Girard got Bella to lie back on the bed. I helped pull the sheet up under her dress in order to preserve her modesty while Bella pulled the hem of her dress up in order for the doctor to examine her.
I bit the inside of my cheek when I saw the place on her right side that was already bruising.
Dr. Girard checked for broken ribs and other injuries before speaking again. "I believe that you and the baby are both fine, but I'm going to order an ultrasound to be certain."
I knew right there and then that I was going to like this guy.
As I'd done the last time, I watched in awe as our baby appeared on the screen. This time however, the image was larger and much more defined.
Bella squeezed my hand. "Oh Edward," was all she managed to gasp out before she burst into tears at the sight of our baby's face. I wiped her eyes before leaning my head against hers, keeping my eyes glued to the screen.
There I sat, staring in wide-eyed wonderment as I studied the image before me, allowing the sight of our little one to be burned into my memory.
"If you were curious as to the sex," the technician began, "I am afraid your baby is not cooperating today. Maybe the next ultrasound will tell us." She smiled and winked, before handing us a stack of printed images.
As soon as the technician left, Dr. Girard took Bella's hand in his, while patting it with the other one.
"Everything appears to be normal," he spoke softly. "Obviously, if you begin to experience any discomfort or bleeding Bella, you should come immediately to the hospital. But I don't foresee that happening." He let go of Bella's hand in order to shake mine again.
"It was a great pleasure to meet you both. I don't see a need for you to keep the appointment tomorrow, although I don't want to wait an entire month for the next one." He pursed his lips as he thought. "Phone my office and reschedule for three weeks from now. I will see you then."
We skipped the dinner cruise, deciding to go straight home instead. The relief I felt during the ride was palpable.
After feeding my wife and giving her some Tylenol for her sore hands and side, I tucked her into bed, holding her until I was certain she was asleep, then I made my way downstairs to the sitting room.
It had been one hell of a day, and I needed the quiet reassurance of my father's voice. I poured myself a glass of bourbon and dialed his number.
"Hey, Dad."
"Hello son. I had a feeling you'd be calling."
"Mom told you?"
"Of course."
On the way home from the hospital, Bella had phoned Charlie, my Mom, Rose and Alice, to let them know what had happened. It took the entire duration of the trip to reassure each of them that she was okay.
"I was really scared Dad," my voice cracked with my admission.
"That's a normal reaction, Edward." I could hear the closing of a door, and it suddenly dawned on me that my father was still at work.
"Oh shit. Dad, I'm sorry, I forgot what time it was. You're still at the hospital aren't you?"
"Yes, but I just stepped into my office. I've got as much time as you need, son."
"Thanks," I muttered before downing the bourbon.
"Edward, hearing about what happened to Bella today, reminded me of a similar incident when your Mom was only a couple of months away from giving birth to your sister."
I sat up, listening intently.
"She and your grandmother were involved in a minor traffic accident while out shopping. It was Duke who phoned me, and even though he assured that everyone was fine, I didn't relax until I saw her for myself."
"I still don't know how I made it across town without crashing my own car." He paused, and I could imagine him running his hand through his hair the way I did when I was upset. "At times like that, it's a dangerous thing to be left alone with your own thoughts. When I finally arrived at your grandparents' house, I had worked myself up into quite a state let me tell you."
"Sounds familiar." I muttered.
Dad chuckled. "Life is difficult, Edward, but don't make it harder than it already is. Celebrate the fact that Bella and the baby are okay instead of dwelling on the 'could have beens'. You'll sleep a lot better, my boy."
I nodded, letting his words sink in. "Thanks, Dad."
"Anytime, son."
******************************A/N***********************
A/N *Thanks once again to the lovely Caruso5 for her help with this chapter.*
I have missed hearing from Daddy C.
Place de la Concorde, for those who don't know, was where Madame la guillotine worked her evil during the time of the French Revolution, which obviously is when 'A Tale of Two Cities' takes place.
Find me on FB as Annie Author Vandv. In the Facebook group Emmamamas Stories, and on the FB page for Virgins & Villains.

No comments:
Post a Comment